What is CNC Milling?
CNC Milling is an automated process used to manufacture 2D and 3D parts by removing material from raw stock.
To make a CNC milled part, a block or sheet is placed on a table below a spindle which holds a cutting tool. A computer controls the tool used, the rotation speed and the vertical motion of the spindle, and the horizontal motion of the table. This allows loaded cutters such as drills, taps and end mills to remove portions of the material to create shapes.Advantages
• Can produce parts of almost any shape
• Cost-effective for prototyping and short runs
• High dimensional tolerances are possible
• Smooth finishes can be achieved
• Avoid flimsy shapes
• Use shapes that will hold well during machining, like straight edges
• Milling creates a visible cut pattern on the surface of the material
• Avoid deep pockets and ensure corners are rounded